Saturday, April 17, 2010

New Mom-isms…round 3

img_1216

It’s been awhile since I posted here and here about newly discovered mom-isms.  After almost one year of being a mother, I have a few additional thoughts to add…... 

* Who cares.  That's my new motto.  Finger prints on my windows, coffee table, stainless steal appliances.  Who cares.  Dog hair all over the floor.  Who cares. Puffs and milk spilled in my car.  Who cares. Sweet happy baby and loving fun husband.  That’s all that matters in my little world.  I'm not always good at incorporating this motto each day, but I'm really trying. 

* On that same note, take a step back from your busy life and enjoy the moment.  The laundry, the dishes, dinner, can all wait.  Too often, I've rushed around 'busy' after work getting everything done, only to realize it's Lily's bedtime and I've missed the entire evening of hanging out with her.

* Advice is helpful.  But sometimes you just have to figure it out on your own.  No matter what worked for your friend, your parents, your co-worker, it might not be right for you.  Just go with the flow, take it one day at a time, and you'll figure out what is best for your baby and your family.  Every one does it differently and most of us turned out all right (especially me, I'm perfect, just ask me).

* Trust your mom instincts.  A couple times this winter, I just knew something was off with Lily.  She wasn't fussy, she was sleeping and eating fine, but I just knew.  Both times I waited too long to take her to the doctor, and both times my gut feeling was right. 

* Trust your husband's instincts.  Mine might be louder than his, but sometimes a different perspective is exactly what the doctor ordered.

* I've said it before, but the hardest part of parenting is finding time as husband and wife.  Yet it's so important that we feel connected to each other in order to be good parents to Lily.  So we try hard to take time for each other, even if it's just sitting down to dinner together each night or a quick glass of wine on the deck before bedtime. 

I can’t wait to see what else I learn as Lily quickly approaches her first birthday.  This year has been such an amazing happy time, and we couldn’t love our little girl any more. 

No comments: