Friday, January 9, 2009

16 weeks






Here is a pic of me at 16 weeks - just barely starting to show!




At 16 weeks I ran the Dallas Whiterock Marathon. To be honest, I was very nervous/anxious the night prior to the race - for a couple reasons - one, I am very competitive with myself and was worried I would be upset with the inevitably slower finish time I would be posting, and second, because I swear this kid has moved in and made him/herself comfortable on my bladder and I feel the urge to pee during every run somewhere around 2 miles! Not a huge fan of port-a-potties, so yes this was a concern of mine.

My concerns turned out to be unnecessary. First of all, no strong desire to pee mid race, so I was very relieved about that! But most importantly, I was able to keep my competitiveness under check. Race day was not ideal - a warm 60 degrees at the start (and for those of us training in KC and running in sub 20 degrees the past month or two, this was hot!) with 30 mile an hour head winds. My good friend Melissa raced with me, we stayed together the entire race, and did a little walking around Whiterock Lake where the wind was at it's worst. We saw Ryan at mile 18, who was with our best friends' Annie, Brian, and godson Sutton - Annie jumped in with Melissa and I, and kept our minds preoccupied with Dallas trivia the last eight miles of the face. Thanks Annie, we needed that mental break!

Side note - when Annie joined us, she was telling stories on Ryan. Apparently, he was a bit nervous and upset with me when he received the text message with our 1/2 time, which was on pace to finish around 3:35 - he said I'd better slow down, or would be in trouble when he saw me. What a good dad he is going to be!

Ryan didn't need to worry; we slowed down in the second half and finished with a time of 3:59. While this time is much slower than my Boston qualifying time of 3:34 in the prior year, I was very excited for this accomplishment and have always felt like a marathon under 4 hours is something to be proud of! Plus Baby O has now finished his/her first marathon!!!

1 comment:

The Frazee's said...

Lindsay-
I came across your blog-through someone elses. Glad you are feeling well, baby "o" will surely change your life-Its simply amazing, the whole experience of pregnancy and childbirth.
Gina Frazee