Friday, January 9, 2009

20 weeks - Pink or Blue?

It's a girl! We found out today at our 20 week appointment that we are having a little girl. Ryan was there (obviously) and my sister Mallory tagged along as well. Prior to the appointment, the three of us were discussing what our feelings were – Mallory and I said boy, Ryan said girl. Once in the exam room, the technician started out the appointment explaining at a high level what we were looking at - head, leg, arm, heart, ambilical cord, etc. After pointing out all the major organs and limbs, she told us we were having a girl - and I lost it. I knew that the sonogram would be interesting, but had always thought of it as very scientific and technical. But seeing a baby in there, and watching the baby waive at us with that little hand was one of the most surreal experiences. And then to finally identify the baby as a girl, an actual person, your own child, was so much more emotional than I could have ever imagine (I am still getting emotional typing this!). I looked over at Ryan after the technician handed me a tissue, and saw that he too had tears in his eyes. I must admit, this was one of only a very few times I have seen him cry!

Ryan’s reaction to having a girl is priceless. A few comments out of his mouth today “I am off to buy some cement panties” and his favorite mantra from the movie Cocktail “And if it’s a daughter that blesses our clan, the shit will certainly hit the fan.”

No comments: